For Belmont, a Lipscomb national championship means stealing a mascot…

Today, we have a little fun with the rivalry. If you listen to the “Herd That” Podcast from last night, we told you a little about the antics that go along with the Battle of the Boulevard. Sure, Lipscomb students have put dye in the Bruins’ fountains, Belmont has taken our championship banner and some former Bisons also took down John the Baptist – the statue, of course.

However, when Blmont College students stole LU Bison’s head, the presses did everything but stop. The Feb. 20,1986 issued of the Babbler is littered with articles about the thieving Rebels from Belmont.

Below, there are two articles highlighting the theft of the beloved Bison head. The first appeared on the front page of the issue and was written by J.L. Goode, Lipscomb’s Director of Security at the time.

**On the evening of Jan. 31st, three days after the theft of our beloved Bisons head from McQuiddy Gym, two individuals driving a blue Honda were stopped by Security Officers Maurice Conner and Russ Roberts in the McQuiddy parking lot.

The Names of the two males turned out to be students at Belmont College.

These names were give by Security to Lipscomb’s Dean of Students, Bob Farris, who in turned passed them on to the Dean of Student’s at Belmont College. Belmont’s Dean was then able to locate the Bison burglars.


On the evening of Feb. 6 Belmont Security notified our Campus Security they had possession of the Bison and were returning it to Lipscomb.

At the suggestion of Athletic Director Ken Dugan and Administrative Assistant to the Vice President for
Campus Affairs Jonathon Seamon, several of Lipscomb’s Secuirty officers escorted the Bison head to center court of the gym during a time-out of the Lipscomb-Bethel basketball game to a rousing welcome back by our students.

The Bison head, after a short trip to “foreign land” is home once again in the lobby of McQuiddy gym.



Now that you have heard the “official” report here is another with a little flavor? Tom Kelsey, who was an athlete at LU, speaks to the Bison head to get the low-down on exactly what happened. Trapped in a Honda for a couple days does not seem fun, and I think you’ll agree after this.


**So, we present to you our guest columnist, Biff the Bison head. Take it away Biff.

I want to give you the readers a detailed account of my story and the lessons I have learned.


Tuesday Jan. 28, 1986

I had just settled down for another evening’s rest. It was just a bit chilly in the gym that night. All the gym rats had finally left, and then, I had hoped I could get some shut-eye.

I don’t get a lot of rest this time of the year. Basketball season is tough on me. If one of the Lipscomb college teams has a game, then I’m always up late until they clean the place. Then the next morning, it’s back to the rate race. Early classes – boy, I hate those. Students come in laughing and yelling at such an early hour. It doesn’t bother me too much because I love it here in ‘ol McQuiddy.

About that time I heard some noise. I knew there shouldn’t be anyone left in here because they locked up the place like 10 minutes ago.

I saw some people walking toward me. They were pointing at me like I had done something wrong. “Oh no,” I thought, “they’ve got tools, and these guys aren’t Lipscomb students.” I wondered what they were doing with those tools?

I got worried and started yelling SECURITY, but our trusty security guard was parked in his car and sound asleep. “Please Mr. Security, wake up. I need your help.” I yelled. It was no use because the plexiglass was off and I was bare to the world. One of the hoodlums reached for my head… “Be careful fellas,” I said, “that’s my head you’re dealing with!”

I couldn’t believe it. They had taken me off my wall, and they were putting me in the trunk of a car.

It was real cold back in the trunk. I wondered where they were taking me. At first I thought they were taking me to a Bison roast. It wasn’t long before the car stopped. We couldn’t have gone but a couple of miles.

They opened the trunk and I heard them talking about where they were going to put me. I heard one say he had the biggest closet in his dorm. It was obvious then I was at a college in Nashville.

“But, which one could it be?” I thought. I knew it couldn’t be Vandy; all they do there is study, and what would they want with a Bison head like me. Then I thought maybe Trevecca – no, they have curfew, and since it was past midnight, it couldn’t have been them. And then I thought…No, it couldn’t be, but it unfortunately was. Belmont…BELMONT! Of all the places I had to get taken to – Belmont.


Thursday Janurary 28, 9:30 a.m.

It was early in the morning and I was stuck in some guy’s closet who stayed up all night and slept all day. They must not have chapel like we do. All they do over there is listen to Amy Grant records…Great music, but all day long!


Saturday February 1, 1:47 p.m.

By Saturday morning I was beginning to get frustrated over there. There hadn’t been a ransom for me yet, and I was beginning to winder what Lipscomb was doing about this. I expected them to call the local SWAT team and demand that I be found. Then, I thought that maybe I was washed-up and that you all didn’t want a useless old Bisonhead around anymore. But, I had to have faith that someone would find me eventually.


Saturday February 2 3:05 p.m.

At the end of the weekend, I had begun to get home-sick. I remembered that intramurals were taking place in McQuiddy, and how much I wanted to be there. But I was stuck in some guy’s stuffy closet.

Although I was in this guy’s closet, I was being treated fairly well. The food was great…they fed me a frozen burrito from the 7-11 across the street.


Monday February 3, 3:23 p.m.

The weekend had passed; I knew that the Lipscomb teams had had a game this weekend. I was wondering how the teams were doing, because I all ever heard of there was Belmont, Belmont, Belmont. I also hoped that security measures because I didn’t want to ever be kidnapped again.


Tuesday February 4, 1:39 p.m.

I knew something was going on. I could hear the thieves planning on what to do with me next. I could just sense they were beginning to get nervous.


Thursday February 6:40 p.m.

I heard them come in the room. I knew I was about to be going somewhere. When they came to get me out of the closet, they were dressed in some funky clothes. They got ready and took me into Belmont’s gym. I thought they might make me pay, but they didn’t ask for any money. I didn’t pay, but they didn’t ask for any money. I didn’t want to be there whether I paid or not. A Belmont security officer made his way over to me, and I knew something had to be up. He asked the thieves a few questions. The security guard told them they would have to take me back to Lipscomb. I couldn’t believe it; I was going home!

That same night, around 9:37 p.m. I was back at beautiful DLC, and it was game night. They were carrying me into McQuiddy past the lobby and into the gym. There was a timeout taking place and they walked me in and held me high in the air. The fans went crazy. They must’ve really missed me after all. I even had a standing ovation…couldn’t believe it.

But fans, readers…listen kids I would like to let you know one thing I’ve learned from this. It’s to have fan support, but sometimes it get gets carried too far. I’ve learned that it’s great to cheer for the home team, but to boo the other team is kind of unsportsmanlike. Now, I know we as fans get carried away sometimes with our enthusiasm, and we take the game too seriously. We have to remember what it is – just a game.

I need to learn to respect other teams’ fan also. I can always learn from someone else. Instead of trying to get in a fight with the other team’s mascot, I am going to try to respect him and conduct myself like a Bison head mascot should.

As a mascot, I know there are small Bison heads that want to grow up and be dedicated fans like me. Sometimes I don’t set the best example because I’m picking fights with my opponent’s fans instead of doing my job – cheering on my team!!

The sad thing is that so many students love me as their mascot, and I always haven’t been a great example for them to follow. I have finally learned what my role is to be. I will let the coaches coach, the referees ref, the players play, and I will do what I am supposed to do = cheer my team.



The Bison Head.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s